HIGH TEMPERATURE, COOLANT FROM MUFFLER

2001 SEAT Toledo

Engine Cooling problem
2001 SEAT Toledo 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 56,855 miles

I have a Seat Toledo 2001 (MK2) that I bought three weeks ago. Beginning the third week the car temperature started to rise really fast from 90 almost to 120. I had to stop the engine 3 times in a short period of time. The repair man told me that the thermostat was open and that was the reason. He closed it and put the same thermostat again. I ran fine for 2 days and suddenly in a stop the temperature started to rise again to +/- 100 and a radiator pipe hose exploded. I turned the car off immediately and the car threw all the coolant out. I took it again to repair. A new hose pipe, but they didn't change the thermostat. They told me that the temp was still rising and that it should be a bad head gasket or head or both. I took it home like that little by little in the road without letting the temp to rise. Next day I tried to drive to another repair man but the temp was getting off the 90 mark too soon so I stopped and turn it off to let it cool to get back to home. When I tried to turn it on again heard a clacking noise and the engine didn't started. Then I looked that the coolant started to drip from the muffler (it didn't happened before). Later I successfully started the engine after adding some water to complete the coolant and white smoke came out the muffler. Also the engine was very jumpy at first but after running a little fast It felt well. I took it to home and let it there until I have the money to fix it 'cause after that last episode I think it is the head/head gasket. What do you think is and was the cause? What can I do to maintain the car engine the more healthy possible while in the garage until I can finally get it to fix it? Many thanks.
Lvidal