REPLACEMENT TRANSMISSION

2003 Saturn Vue

2003 Saturn Vue 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 89000 miles

Can anyone tell me if it states in the Saturn official repair manual that when replacing the origional transmission in the 03 Vue with the re-engineered transmission built for that vehicle (due to problems it had) that you must also replace 2 tranmisssion coolant hoses as well? I had my transmission replaced a month ago by a local garage who got the factory replacement transmission from the dealer (re-engineered) but did not replace the 2 coolant hoses that I understand Saturn instructs they do as well because they are also re-engineered and need to work together. This month (one month later) the new tranmission failed and I am trying to determine if it is due to the hoses not being replaced as the dealer is telling me. Obviously, the first garage is saying that is not the cause. Who has info on this?
Janhariu

I would listen to the dealer because they have all the latest info, the local garage does not. Things are always being updated and changed due to possible design flaws or a part that could fail in a short period of time. If the trans failed because the local shop didn't change something because it was updated the dealer is not responsible the garage is. Now you will have a fight on your hands to get the dealer to waranty a new trans.I also found some info on your question: Information on 4T65-E MN7, M15, M76, MN3 Automatic Transmission Case, Cooler Fitting and Torque Converter Drain Back Check Ball Change

Models: 2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

with one of the following HYDRA-MATIC ® Automatic Transmissions: Effective with Julian date 4019 (January 19, 2004), the 4T65E transaxle cases and cooler fittings have changed and are not interchangeable with past models. The technician may find that when replacing the inlet or outlet transmission cooler lines, the new lines cannot be connected to the transmission.

A change to the transmission cooler line fittings was implemented in production on February 1, 2004. The cooler line fittings were changed to a design with a longer lead in pilot (1). The cooler line fittings with the longer lead in pilot will not fit on models built before February 1, 2004.

The longer lead in pilot fittings (1) (9/16-18 UNF) have replaced the shorter lead in pilot fittings (2) (3/8-18 NPSF w/check ball & ¼-18 NPSF).

If the transmission cooler lines will not connect, then replace them with the following cooler line fittings as appropriate with the older, shorter lead in pilot design : • For vehicles built prior to February 1, 2004, use Transmission Fluid Cooler Inlet Hose, P/N 20793004.

• For vehicles built after February 1, 2004, use Transmission Fluid Cooler Inlet Hose, second design P/N 15264588.

• For vehicles built prior to February 1, 2004, use Transmission Fluid Cooler Outlet Hose, P/N 20793005.

• For vehicles built after February 1, 2004, use Transmission Fluid Cooler Outlet Hose, second design P/N 15264589.

The torque specification has changed for the fittings to case. The torque has changed from 38 N ·m (28 lb ft) to 32 N ·m (23 lb ft).

Tighten
Tighten the new cooler fittings to 32 N ·m (23 lb ft).

The converter drain back check ball (420C) has been removed from the cooler line fitting and is now located in the channel plate.

If you get a concern of no movement in the morning or after sitting for several hours, the cooler check ball should be inspected.

The best way to determine where the check ball is located is to look at the cooler line fittings. The old fittings are different sizes (3/8-18 NPSF & ¼-18 NPSF) and would contain the cooler check ball. The new fittings are the same size as each other (9/16-18 UNF) and do not have a cooler check ball.

This might be what you describe, post back with what happens.

Brian 1
Brian1, would it then make sense that if the local garage replaced the transmission but did not flush the system or change out the origional coolant hoses (which they did neither according to the dealer's inspection when it went in because it failed this past week) the replacement transmission failed as a result of their failure to perform those two tasks? Is that a safe statement?
Jan

Janhariu
Actually the local garage should have replaced the hoses and flushed the trans, it might have saved it. When you have a major failure like this it's wise to flush the cooler lines because if there is any metal flakes or brass flakes inside the trans it gets pushed throught the whole trans, when you remove the trans you need to flush the cooler lines and trans cooler. The local garage didnt do this so when they put the trans in and started it all the metal flakes that were in the cooler and cooler lines got pushed into the new trans and might have caused the failure. If the dealer would have done the trans they would have flushed the cooler lines they have the equipment to do so, and if it would of failed the dealer would have warrantyed it. All my years been a GM tech it is mandatory for me to flush the cooler and lines to make sure the vehicle does not come back. Post back with any other questions.

Brian 1