IGNITION KEY SWITCH

1997 Saturn SW2

1997 Saturn SW2 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 110000 miles

My ignition key switch is bad. Sometimes you have to keep inserting and turning the hey upside down till it finally works. I have a new one but ran into a problem trying to get the old one out. There is a black ring on the outside that won't allow you to remove the plastic cover. With the cover removed I should be able to get at the button to remove the old one. Thank you for your free help.
Earle Allen
Earle Allen

Ok remove the upper part of the plastic around the column. Put the key in the switch and turn to acc possition and depress the square locking button on the top of the ignition module assembly and pull the lock cylinder out thats it.

Racefan966
Thank you for your reply. The first part you said to remove the upper plastic cover. In order to do that you have to remove the black plastic ring with the key positions marked on it because the ring is larger than the hole in the cover. With that done the rest should be fine.
Waiting for your reply.
Thank you
Earle Allen

Earle Allen
With what I can find that sould not be a problem. Could you include a pic so I can see what you are up against? Thanks.

Racefan966