STARTER WILL NOT DISINGAGE AFTER RELEASING

1994 Saturn SW2

1994 Saturn SW2 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 105000 miles

This one should stump you. After starting engine, the starter shaft stays engaged after engine begins running (you can hear it doesn't release by the noise the starter makes). After turning ignition key off to kill engine, starter continues to turn engine over until you disconnect negative battery cable. After reconnecting battery to try again, sometimes the starter disengages ok on the first try, but will not on the second try. This problem started with original starter, continued with 2nd and 3rd replacement starter. Replaced ignition switch, no help. Tested purple wire which engages solenoid by turning start switch several times, 12 volts drops to zero each time I release switch, so switch works fine and circuit seems ok. HELP!
Affinitylou

I would still check the starter
something wrong in and around it
disconnect the switch wire S terminal
and with key off jump the battery to the S terminal, starter should engage, remove the jump wire, starter should stop if not remove the starter and bench test

need manual CHECK IT @
http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals.htm

BMRFIXIT