SATURN SL2 ENGINE PROBLEM

2000 Saturn SL2

2000 Saturn SL2 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100184 miles

hey I need help my friend drove her saturn with very low oil so now its makeing a loud knocking on the first piston iv been told three differnt things so im thring to find out how to fix
HER MAN

It sound's like she spun a rod bearing most likely it's possible to fix it by removing the oil pan. But you won't know until you remove oil pan and rod cap if the rod or crankshaft is damaged then your better off getting a used engine.

This is not going to be something your going to fix in your back yard. The motor will need to be rebuilt at the very least and even that could develop problems with crankshaft or block damage. A used engine may be your cheapest way out now but I would recommend a re manufactured engine instead.

Wrenchtech
Would that rod bering make it knock then stop and start knocking again?

HER MAN
While it's knocking take one wire off at a time then put it back on if the knocking stop's while taking any of the wire's off then those cylinder's have a problem in the lower end. The most common thing to happen on those engine's when running them low on oil is to spin a rod bearing.I have seen it happen a lot.