SATURN SL2 FUEL PRESSURE PROBLEM

1997 Saturn SL2

1997 Saturn SL2 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 81000 miles

Hard to start. This is what we have done;
we were told to switch the fuses between the air conditioner and fuel pump. Didn't work
we were told to turn key on and off a few time as to simulate priming. Didn't work
It starts fine in the morning, the more you stop and start it the harder it gets.
Battery is new.
Averatribe943

I need more information on what happens when you have the hard starting. What does it do when it's hard to start detail's please.

It just cranks and cranks and cranks and then finally starts

Averatribe943
Sound's like your feel pump is bleeding down really common on that yr and model saturn or you have a bad coolant temp sensor really common on that yr and model saturn. If you can rent a fuel pressure gauge from auto zone I can instruct you on how to test for the pump bleeding down.

I forgot to mention we did change the temperature sensor.
That would be great if you could instruct me on how to test the fuel pump. I will rent the gage today.
Thank you so much.

Averatribe943
All you have to do is remove your air intake that goes to your throttle body. Then you can see the line that run's to your fuel rail it has a screw cap on it. Remove the screw cap on the line then screw the hose on the fuel pressure gauge onto the fuel line. Then turn the key to the run position wait 5 second's then repeat this 2 more time's. Then go out and see what your fuel pressure reading is the fuel pressure shouldn't bleed down right away.

We have called every Auto Zone, Kragen, PepBoys etc. And asked if they rent a fuel pressure gage and the answer is no. Do you have any other suggestions. Also I noticed the car is not getting very good gas mileage and I am comparing it to our Saturn SL2 2001 with 106000 miles on it.

Averatribe943
My auto zone rent's a fuel pressure set come's with the gauge and even a meter. You might have to buy one there pretty cheap. What kind of gas mileage are you getting?