CAR WOULD NOT START

1999 Saturn SL1

1999 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 234000 miles

Car started up fine this morning, I went about 3 minutes down the road to get a paper and when I came out from the gas station, the car would not start. I left it at the gas station for about 30 minutes and went back and it started right up. I drove it home (about 3 minutes) and pulled it into the garage and shut it off. I tried to start it up again and it wouldn't start.
Jk8point

Check the crankshaft position sensor, Saturn had a bad batch of em, they can test ok if you arent expierenced on certain test proceedures.

Merlin2021
Where is that located?

Jk8point
I posted earlier today about my 1999 Saturn not starting. I believe I have found the problem. After several hours of searching the internet and trying out different things my neighbor suggested tapping on the starter. I did not think it was the starter because we have not had any trouble starting it. The starter is very hard to get to but I was able to tap on it lightly with a long file that I have. Lo and behold it started right up. I was able to start it up 4 times in a row.

Has anyone ever changed a starter in a 1999 Saturn SL? It looks like it is very hard to do. Any tips would be appreciated

Jk8point
STARTER -1999 Saturn SL2
Page 1 of 1
STARTER

Removal & Installation
Disconnect negative battery cable. Raise and support vehicle. Disconnect starter electrical connectors and lay wires aside. Remove starter-to-engine block bolts. Pull starter rearward, toward left side of vehicle and remove starter. See Fig. 1 . To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten starter-to-engine block bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (37 N.m).
Fig. 1: Locating Starter
Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

10/21/2008

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_starter_1.jpg

Merlin2021