BATTERY ISSUES??

1998 Saturn SL1

1998 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

I have just replaced the battery in my vehicle, but it still does not start every time. Sometime it starts sometimes it does not. What is wrong with it
Beaglehugs

When u replaced the battery did u have the alternator tested?Also when it doesnt start does the engine turn over or not. Can u hear the starter click?

I have not tested the altenator yet. And when I turn the key you can hear a low hum put that is it nothing happens

Beaglehugs
Where is the humming comming from?Is that why u repalced the battery because it wasnt starting and humming?Make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Do u have a multimeter or test light to do some testing and I could help u fiugure out why its not turning over. Let me know.

When I tried to start it up yesterday it did. Then I turned off and when I tried again it did not, but I did hear this time the start click

Beaglehugs
Sounds like a bad starter when it gets hot it stops working. Wel if u have atleast 12 volts all the time to the postive battery cable on the starter and atleast 12volts when u turn the key at the little purple on the starter then u have a bad starter. Let me know what u find.