PLUGS??

1997 Saturn SL1

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1997 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 290000 miles

Weeks ago, I would notice a shutter when trying to accellerate up hills, or quickly from a stop sign or red light. It sounded and felt like the engine was missing a cycle or something.

Then it became worse, especially during slower city-type driving. During a stop, or when accellerating out of a stop, the RPM would drop to 500 or below, the vehicle or engine would shake/shimmy and the RPMs would fluctuate a lot.

Research SUGGESTED spark plugs, which I hope is true.

After leaving it in the driveway for about a week, it wouldn't start. I boosted it fine and let it idle for 10 minutes or so. It still went down to low RPM when I shifted into D or R, but idled decently in P.

After disconnecting the booster cables after 10 mins or so (which was always enough when the battery died in the cold of winter), the vehicle quit as soon as I stepped on the brake to shift to D to move the vehicle.

After this, the battery was dead again. Boosted and repeated this 2 more times with the same result.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Justin
Jadoiron