SHIFTING

2002 Saturn SC2

2002 Saturn SC2 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 62000 miles

My car won't shift in 1st very well. Could this be the bushing problem(the part I can get on ebay). If it is. Is it right under the gear shift the ball joint that I feel under the middle console. I haven't opened up completely. I need to make sure before ripping off the vinyl etc.
Caseyhue

The bushing problem on the shifter cable ur talking about is the one that holds the cable to the shifter it's self when it goes ur shifter gets real loose and doesn't shift. Not just have a problem in one gear so does it grind into first or is it just hard to shift into first also is it just first or is there other gears u have trouble with.
Louie

Once in a while it will go into second and from there it will slide into first. Mainly I use the 3rd gear alot to go. Its getting old. Rest of the gears work fine. No other problems. It doesn't really grind it more like sticks sometimes or just slide into first, but it doesn't engage. I get first to work once in a while, but not a whole lot. Clutch seems fine.

Caseyhue
Well if ur clutch is good and ur cables are good also check the cable ends where they are crimped on where the trans is see the cable is bare there where no sheathing is but usually if u grind into one gear or hard to get into one gear it's usually the syncro for that gear. Let me know how it goes.
Louie

Sorry it took so long to reply. Thanks for all your help. I ended up taking it in to check it out. The winter months have been bad an never really had the time to investigate a whole lot. It's in the shop an almost done. It ended up being the manual transmission was shot/clutch, bother needed to be replaced. Thanks again for your help.

Christine.

Caseyhue