SATURN SC2 SENSOR PROBLEM

1997 Saturn SC2

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Saturn SC2 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Car was overheating when at idle, the cooling fan was not coming on when temperature was high. Replaced coolant sensor on block because temerature guage was not working correctly. The guage now works correctly but did not turn on the fan when temperature is high. The fan operates if the A/C is turned on but not when it gets hot. I thought the temerature sensor controlled the fan. What else would cause the fan to fail to come on when the coolant is overheated?
S Thomas

When u replaced the sensor did u check And make sure that the connector wasn't corroded if it is u have to replace the connector or it will skew the actual temperture at the computer. The sensor does tell the computer to turn on the fan at 222-226 degrees. How high is the temp gauge going into the red?How do u know it's over heating?Is coolant comming out of cap?Could just be a bad cap. The fan can come on at 3/4 or the tip of the red sometimes depending on how good ur gauge is let me know what u find.