SATURN SC2 BATTERY PROBLEM

1994 Saturn SC2

Engine Cooling problem
1994 Saturn SC2 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

My daughters car was making a loud sqeaking upon starting, her friend tightened a belt to stop the squeak. Now the card will not start, she describes a clicking sound when the ket was turned then the sound continued after the key was removed. He friend located the part making the noise from under her console and removed it. Part # 3324 a rectangular flat part. Previous to all of this her car had been over heating. What is this part and could this be the source of her car not starting and perhaps why her car had been previously over heating?
P charno

That is the power seat belt control module it will click when battery voltage get's too low. It will not make the car not start or overheat. The first thing you need to do is have the battery charged and tested. Also do you have a multimeter so we can do some testing?Also you cannot tighten the belt it has a automatic belt tensioner if the belt is loose or slipping you will have to replace the tensioner.

Her friend removed the seat belt control module and the car started. He believes it was shorting out however
I feel think you may be right that the belt tensioner needs replacing.

P charno
That module isn't wired into the starting system at all. Here's what I think could have happened the belt lost tension and the alternator stopped spinning then the battery went dead. So then the seat belt module didn't have enough voltage to hold themselves in on postion so they begun to click. The first thing you need to do is check to see if the belt is tight an have the battery charged and tested.