HIGH IDLING

2001 Saturn SC1

2001 Saturn SC1 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 118000 miles

My car accelerates by itself and when put into park or neutral the RPMs raise.
Iremonger13

How high does the idle go?I would check the short hose that goes from the intake manifold to valve cover for colasping or holes.I would also get a can of carb spray let the car idle and spray around the hoses and where the intake manifold meets the head especially around the power steering pump area. If the rpms go up down or the engine stumbles or dies you have a leak there. Also do you have any codes?Let me know.

It varies, over 3000! Took it to a car expert for the leaks. And got nothing. Recently it hasnt been idling high in park or neutral like it did, but now I have to baby it on start up and it stills takes off when in gear, it gets past 2nd by itself. Codes?

Iremonger13
Yes code's if you go to a auto part's store like auto zone they will scan your car for trouble code's post what the code number's are. They are code's that the computer set's to guide to repairing the car's. Most common reason for that high of idle is a vacuum leak or a stuck idle air control valve. Most common is a vacuum leak. With your engine look at the hose that goes from your intake manifold to your pcv for hole's or colasping. Really common for that to happen on your car. Also the intake gasket's leak all the time on the number one or two cylinder right where the intake gasket meet's the head. You can even see the gasket all wrinkled up the number one cylinder is by the power steering pump.

Hi, I have the same problem. I changed the PCV, EGR, ECT, IAC, and Spark plugs. But I still have a high Idle. It idles around 3000rpm. Checked for vaccum leaks, didn't see any. HELP!

Jamesoney
You have the same make model year etc?

Sorry about that, it is 2001 saturn sc1

Jamesoney
Cover the throttle body with a flat piece of card board if the engine still idles real high and doesnt die you have a vacuum leak.

Please forgive my ignorance, will I remove the hose that is connected to the air filter and cover the throttle body?

Jamesoney
Yes remove the air filter snorkel tube then cover the throttle body opening.

Thanks, I greatly appreciate your help. I will try tomorrow, and give an update.

Jamesoney