IGNITION

1998 Saturn SC1

1998 Saturn SC1 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 169000 miles

I can put my key in the ignition, but it won't turn to start the car.
Jill R.

Look at your key is it all worn out?Also do you have another key to try to see if that one work's. Have you tried moving the steering wheel while trying to turn the key?You could also try lightly tapping on the cylinder with a hammer and then try turn it. If you can get the key to turn to the acc position you can replace just the cylinder. If not you have to replace the cylinder and ignition housing. Let me know how it goes.

The key is worn and my other key that I tried is even more worn. I tried turning the steering wheel and that didn't work. I was finally able to get the key to turn the car on after carefully jiggling it. Do you think some graphite in the ignition lock would work or would that be a bad idea. I'm going to get a new key made tonight from my old one. Any other suggestions?

Jill R.
Don't get your old key copied you will end up with a twin of a worn out key. Go to the dealer and have them make a fresh new key from your car's key code.