I AM HAVING STARTING ISSUE WITH MY R

2005 Saturn Relay

2005 Saturn Relay 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 56,000 miles

I recently changed my starter and I am still having the same problem. My starter seems to turn the engine over fine when it’s cold though it has done it once in a while but it is more prevalent when warm. The issue is the starter makes a sound like it is turning over but the engine is not. It seems like the starter drive is slipping but I know it’s good. The sound is not a click, click, and clicks either. The battery is original, so I am thinking change it anyway but I had it tested at a parts store and they said it was fine. It seems like the starter drive gets stuck or does not engage into the flywheel but I know it is spinning. If I turn the key off again and back on it will eventually turn the engine over and start. This issue does not happen every time either. Any suggestions would be great.
Vinnmann1969

When your old starter went out did it make any grinding noises? If so the flexplate (flywheel) may have a few bad spots that are not letting the starter gear engage. Did you get a high quality replacement starter or a cheapy? I have seen more than one starer bad right out of the box, so you may want to try another one. Also get a meter and be sure you have afull 12 volts at the big wire and small wire (in crank position)

Jack42
Flex plate is good. There were never any grinding noises.(Noise was like the drive spinning but not engaging but it is the gear reduction starter so I am not used to the sounds they make) There is no metal shavings either. Drive and flywheel mesh great. The old starter and the new are doing same thing. I was hoping this was a common issue with this engine. I have been around cars all my life and this issue is puzzling me but I know enough to know if it has happened once it has happened to others. Oh well I will just try a new battery and hope for the best. Thank you for trying.

Vinnmann1969
Check the voltages, it could be a poor connection

Jack42