HEAD LIGHT REPLACEMENT

2008 Saturn Outlook

2008 Saturn Outlook 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 60,000 miles

I have a right head light that has burned out 2 times in the last couple of months. Took it to the dealer for a seat belt issue and asked them to look at it. They said it would cost 750.00 to fix the light. The socket was burned out and the part would be 400.00 and labor 350.00 to put it in. They said they would have to take the bumper off to put it in. I do not believe this. I think I can remove right tire and remove the plastic wheel well and cut the wires and splice in a new socket. What do you think? I am no stranger to being a parts changer and I will get caught trying to fix this problem too before I hand over 750 to the dealers for one small head light. Any thoughts? Can I buy a socket by itself?
Mikendale

Hi mikendale. Welcome to the forum. Is this a high intensity discharge bulb? If it is, they run a very high voltage. Improper service procedures can result in burning out the ballast which is also very expensive. These systems ARE very expensive to repair. Be thankful you don't have a BMW.

Sometimes there are faster ways to replace parts, but reputable mechanics will follow the published service procedures. If there are shortcuts, there is a reason the manufacturer doesn't want them to be used. Your mechanic will likely not try to cut corners that you are willing to do to your own car. We tend to want the job done properly when someone else is doing the work for us, but we are willing to compromise when it is our own time, skinned knuckles, or frustration that is involved.