BLOWER SOUND

Saturn Other

I am not at all a mechanic so this is probably a really dumb question, but my daughter has an SC-2, Saturn, 2002 with 60,000 miles on it. She was sitting in her car with the engine off, the keys in her purse and she said a blower sound came on and air was coming out of the defroster. Is this normal? And what is it? Thanks so much.
Chrissiejs

Great Question!

The scenario you describe has also baffled a few pro mechanics. Let me asure you it is normal and by design.

Almost all aspects of newer cars are controlled by the computer. The blower motor for the heater/AC unit is no exception. There is a program that is installed refered to as " afterblow". What it amounts to is the blower is activated after the AC was runnig and the engine is shut off. This is done to prevent the formation of molds, mildew, and generaly nasty smells in your heater/AC unit. The program can be enabled or disabled by a Saturn dealer. This started in 99 or maybe 2000 and is more prevalent in hot climates.

I thought they were nuts when I first heard of it too. : Oops: : lol:

Peppermrj