AN ANNOYING SQUEAL...

Saturn Other

My daughter has a 93 SC2 and it has been making an annoying squealing noise for some time. We had the surpentine belt changed and it temp. Stopped, now it has returned and is almost always a constant noise. As of yesterday it began to smoke and a light the looks like a water thermometer is flashing ( by my daughters description). Could this be the water pump? And how much is one for this older model, hard to find : : roll:
Indestiny

The light that is blinking should be for low coolant. The coolant tank has a float switch that turns the light on when the level gets below the prescibed point.

Check the coolant level and check for leaks. Dried coolant leaves a whitish stain. Waterpump leaks can be hard to find as the coolant is flung by the spinning pulley every which way. Sounds like a safe bet tho.

The DOHC engine was still being used in the 2002 models with some updates. I do believe the pump is the same. They are reasonably inexpensive and readily available.

Not too hard for a do it yourself project. The pulley bolts can be very stubborn to remove. Post back if you want to try it yourself. I've done it recenltly and can give you a good bit of advice.

Remove the belt and spin all the pulleys by hand to be sure something else is not failing. Double check the belt and the tensioner while it is off. Also if you do replace the pump I would suggest flushing the coolant system and replacing the thermostat while your at it.

Good luck and let us know how you make out. : Wink:

Peppermrj
I would like to do it myself with my husbands help. Can you guide me along with a few helpful hints or suggestions.
Thanks for your response. : P

Indestiny
Check the belt idler pully

Lovescars
Sure. No sweat. Check to be sure that is your problem first. You could have a bearing going bad in anyone of the belt driven accessories (Alternator, power steering pump, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley. You could also have a leak from the radiator, hoses, or coolant tank.

Look for a leak from the water pump from underneath.

When your sure it's your pump post back and I'll give ya a " How To".

Peppermrj
We have replaced the tensioner, a top hose and the air filter. It has been quiet so far.

Thank you
: P

Indestiny
Knock on wood. : D

Peppermrj