97 SL2 NO START

1997 Saturn Other

Woke up to a none starting 97 saturn SL2. I can hear the fuel pump run with ignition on. So figure thats not the problem. I have spark at both coils so thats no the problem. Engine cracks but does not fire. Battery is great. No check engine light. Car has about 3/4 tank of gas. When car didn't start checked oil and it wasn't registering any oil. Don't know where the oil went besides burning it. Car doesnt smoke from the tail pipe so didn't think car had a burn problem. My next step to to check the plugs. Could this just be fouled plugs? What else should I be checking for? And how? PLEASE HELP! Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Chappydotcom

After checking the plugs, make sure the timing is correct. Backyardmechanic : o

Backyardmechanic
I checked that replaces the plugs, wires, and one of the ignition coils. Still no start. There is no adjustment to the timing. Only a crank position sensor and if this was off then there would be no spark or fuel. Any other thoughts? It is getting fuel.

Chappydotcom
If your timing is off you can still have spark and fuel. The timing controls when the plugs fire and when the injectors operate. If it is not the timing you need to check the pressure in the fuel system with a fuel pressure testor. The fuel injection system needs a high amount of presssure in order to operate. The pump could be runnug but not delivering the right amount of pressure.

P.S. When was the last time you changed or looked at the oil? ( I beleive this is a seperate issue from the car not starting)

Backyardmechanic
So what you are saying is that the sensor could still be the problem and would still send spark and fuel even if its bad? I was told otherwise but I will check. Beyond the sensor there is no adjustment to the timing. Not sure on the oil question. Its my sisters car. Thanks for your help

Chappydotcom
I was actually reffering to you timing chain or timing belt not the sensor. If the belt or chain (not sure which one you have) has slipped or moved you will still get spark and fuel.

Backyardmechanic
Thank you for all the help.

Chappydotcom