'94 SL1 SOHC FUEL SYSTEM

1994 Saturn Other

Howdy! I have a question regarding a SOHC 94 Saturn SL1 w/ 116,000 miles. Here are the problems:

After the car has been properly warmed up, it obtains a severe hesitation problem during acceleration, oil consumption at high RPMs, a very rich exhaust smell (with copious amounts of soot being pumped out the tailpipie during starting and warmup), and an engine check light that comes on after the car has been sitting at idle for about 30 seconds and goes out again under about 30 seconds higher RPMs.

So far, other than normal maintenance, I have replaced all 4 spark plugs, the O2 sensor, EGR valve and solenoid, and fuel filter. Yet the above problems come back after a brief period of time. If this helps, I ran 89 octane gas in for a couple months after normally running 87 and then these problems starting appearing. Thanks a lot I appreciate it!
Odysseyb52

In addition to the egr problems these have had, the coolant temperature sensor is infamous for cracking. Inexpensive part, easy to install.