MODELS 'SERVICE ENGINE SOON' LIGHT

1995 Saturn Other

1995 Other Saturn Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

My Saturn SL2 car starts and drives normal at beginning. Within five ten minutes drive the 'service engine soon' light comes and stays on until the engine is tuned off. The car drives ok even with the light ON except acceleration is not so smooth. What is wrong with the engine and what should I do? Looking for detailed information!
Manaye

You need to start by finding what codes are in the computer. The CEL is illuminated becasue of a problem with the emissions the car is putting out. What ever is happening appears to be when the engine comes to temperature. (These were common for ect problems but wouldn't change it without good reason). Once the codes have been pulled troubleshooting can begin. So get the codes and we can go further. The code troubleshooting charts are located in the repair manual.