POWER STEERING PROBLEM

2004 Saturn Ion

Steering problem
2004 Saturn Ion 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 44300 miles

I am having a problem with my power steering. Sometimes, when driving, the power steering indicator turns on in the dash board. When this happens, the power steering turns off. What is strange about this is that if the vehicle is turned off and turned back on, the power steering is fine. This doesn't happen every time the vehicle is in operation. Do you have any idea what could be causing the power steering to occasionally not work?
Heathervr7

I am having the same problem have you found out whats wrong?

I am having a problem with my power steering. Sometimes, when driving, the power steering indicator turns on in the dash board. When this happens, the power steering turns off. What is strange about this is that if the vehicle is turned off and turned back on, the power steering is fine. This doesn't happen every time the vehicle is in operation. Do you have any idea what could be causing the power steering to occasionally not work?[/Quote]

Marc636
Yes mine does it to acually I use to work for the dealership. Its a problem with the signal it get a bad code. Check fuse replace it should solve it.

Expert457
See if u have a code c0475 in the power steering control module its most likely the steering motor which they sell seperately if u blew a fuse ur steering wouldnt start working after u cycled the key. Pretty common problem the motor goes bad over heats then the computer justs turns it off. Let me know how it goes it will start happening more and more often though.
Louie