CAR GETS STUCK IN NEUTRAL AND 1ST GEAR

2004 Saturn Ion

Other Category problem
2004 Saturn Ion 4 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Manual 53,000 miles

My husband has a 2004 saturn ion 1 manual transmission car. It does not have poor door locks or anything its just basic. Anyway, he noticed a few days ago his shifter was acting up when he would try and shift the car then it would just get stuck in neutral or gear. The only way to get the car to shift would be to turn the car of wait a minute then turn it back on and shift. I also drive this car on occasion and have never had this problem. So the other day I took it out for about a 20 minute ride and had no problems using my car key. Later that day he decided to drive and use his key sure enough a mile from our house it started acting up again. THis past weekend I took the car out using his car key and again could not shift the car into any gear. At this point he does not feel safe driving the car. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem? Could his car key possibly have a problem with the chip in it and is tripping the security mechanism in the car? Or is it a clutch problem? Any help would be appreciated.
Davisa48