BLOWER REMOVAL

2003 Saturn Ion

Air Conditioning problem
2003 Saturn Ion 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

My blower seems to have conked out. I see it under the glove compartment, under dash, but I can't figure how it can be removed from underneath. Do I need to go through top dash?

It looks like a large plastic assembly instead of what I expected as just the blower and 3 nuts for removal.
Cub96

Man are you in luck, these SUCK to do!Here is how to remove it. Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector.

Notice: Cut through the case as straight as possible because the blower motor cup must be replaced. In order to prevent damage to the blower motor and/or lower case, do not cut any deeper than necessary to remove the motor cup.

Remove the blower motor and blower motor cup from the lower case by cutting through the case between the circular ribs around the motor with a sharp utility knife.

Remove the two blower motor nuts (3). Retain these nuts for installation of the new blower motor cup.

Using a flat-bladed screwdriver, release the blower motor retaining tab and remove the motor from the cup.
Using the new lower case, P/N 15226515, repeat step 2. (The blower motor cup from the new part will become the service repair part. Once the blower motor cup is cut out of the new lower case, the remainder of the case should be discarded.)
Installation Procedure

Install the blower motor (1) into the blower motor cup (2) that was cut out of the new lower case.
Install the two blower motor nuts (3).
Tighten
Tighten the nuts to 2.4 N ·m (21 lb-in).

Attach the service ring (4) to the blower motor cup (2) with three screws (5) included in the blower motor bracket kit, P/N 52495750.
Tighten
Tighten the screws to 1.8 N ·m (15 lb-in).

Install the blower motor and service ring into the HVAC module using three screws (5) included in the blower motor bracket kit, P/N 52495750. Make certain blower motor electrical connector is pointing rearward in the vehicle.
Tighten

Install the new lower blower motor cover, P/N 15226511, taking care to align cover with alignment pin on motor housing

Install the two lower blower motor cover retaining screws, P/N 52466167.
Tighten

Connect the blower motor electrical connector.
I 've done a few of these, last 2 I had to cut with an air saw. The new blower motor should come with directions on how to install.

Brian 1