SPORADIC IDLE PROBLEM

SAAB Other

My car is a 1984 Saab 900, 2.0 L, 8 valve engine with about 240,000 km's on it. When it has been sitting overnight and is started, its starts fine, but within a second or two, it's idle drops and it almost dies, but it tends to recover of its own accord within about 5 seconds and then runs fine. Also, after it has been driven for any length of time and then is started before completely cooling, it has trouble regulating it's idle, stalling unless the revs are pushed up by giving it some gas, but this only continues for a few minutes, then it runs fine again.
Just wondering what could be causing such a weird and sporadic type of idle problem?
all fluids have been checked and are at good levels and no hoses are undone that I can see.

Thanks for your time.
Brett
Gann17