FRONT BRAKE PAD CHANGE PROBLEM ON 95 ARC

2005 SAAB Other

Hi,
I have the old brake pads off, but I can't seem to get the piston to move back into the brake cylinder. It doesn't seem to move at all. I've tried pushing it back in every way I can think of, and it will not budge. I need to get the piston back in before I can install the new pads.

What's the trick? Shouldn't it just push back in? Or is there a special tool I need to screw/twist the piston back into its proper place.

As of now, the rubber boot on the piston is not ripped, and no brake fluid has leaked. It almost feels like the brake fluid is unable to be pushed back through the brake line, but the brakes worked correctly before I started this, and the brakes were not sticking, and the caliper wasn't sticking or pulling either.

Thanks in advance for any much needed help!

Saab51 (or Sob51 if I have a huge problem!)
Saab51

Hey there,

Are you trying to push the caliper pistons on the front or rear?

The front pistons can be pushed in with any C-clamp or equivalent device, but the rear ones you have to have a special tool with these two little dowel pin like the end of it and it fits in the two small holes in the piston so it can grip the piston and you have to twist it back into the caliper

JDOrazio2007
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I was replacing the front brakes, and the problem was that I didn't take the cap off of the master cylinder. Once I did that, the calipers slid back into position easily.

I know it sounds obvious, but I never had to do that before with any car I've owned. Which makes me wonder why I never had to do that before, and the integrity of the brake systems of my previous vehicles.

Thanks for the heads up on the rear brakes. I have heard of the special tool needed, but I haven't had to change those yet.

I can't wait to find out how much that tool costs!

Saab51