CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (P0340) CAMSHAFT POSTION SENSOR

SAAB Other

I have a 1999 SAAB 9-3 2.0l Turbo with 150,000miles. Recently the check engine light came on and I had a diagnostic test done and it indicated that it was a Camshaft Postion Sensor malfunction " A" (Bank 1 or single sensor) code P0340.
I have a couple questions:
1) How serious of a problem is this and how soon does it need to be fixed?
2) Is this something that I could replace on my own and if so what would be the best resource for finding instructions to fix it?
*I have gone to three different mechanics and they vary in their solution and estimation. The Saab dealer said $99.00 for the diagnostic and $500 to replace the sensor. Another garage said the part was $450 + labor. The third said he could get the part for $189.00 + labor and that the labor would be.7 hours. These estimates seem to vary so much and I am seeking some advice.
Thanks for the taking the time.
Matthew
Ehnmatthew