AIR FILTER AND LOCKS AFFECTED BY TRANS INSTA

1995 SAAB 9000

Engine Cooling problem
1995 Saab 9000 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 79,000 miles

I recently got my car back form having a used trans and radiator put in. When I picked up the car it was smoking like it never had before. The mechanic told me it was like that when he got it but it should burn off.
I also noticed that starting the car is now a problem and it seems to have something to do with the crankcase breather valve and the auto locks. Never had a problem with the locks and I replaced the valve.

Today all I did was replace the air filter. When I opened up the air filter resivior it was wet with oil. I wiped it out put in the new filter and now the car won't run.

What did I do?

And which way does the Air filter go in? Solid side down (facing out of the car) or solid in (facing the engine?
Mitch123