INSTRUMENT PANEL CONTROLS

1996 SAAB 900

1996 Saab 900 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 74,000 miles

Hey, I'd like to ask, what would cause issues with radio, climate control and panel readouts such as repair interval, that cannot be cleared. I understand that there are multiple computer components on this model and would prefer only to replace the faulty parts.
Johnnygrand

Hello .. thanks for the donation .. much appreciated

It is ususally the actual display readouts that go bad on these vehicles, not the actual control module .. unfortunately you need to replace the whole module to repair .. there are company's that will repair the display's only at a cost !! ... it is very hard to find a used replacement from the same year as they all eventually go bad in this way !!

hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_980.png

Dave H
You could do the following test. But you will eventually replace the modules. I have seen this numerous times before !

COMMUNICATION BETWEEN ICE & SID
NOTE: SID is Saab Information Display panel.

Connect ISAT and select " READ FAULT CODES" on the menu. If any fault codes are present, diagnose and repair cause of code before continuing.
If there are no fault codes, connect a Breakout Box (BOB) and connect a voltmeter between pins 37 and 70 in the connector. Select " ACT INSTR FUNCT" on ISAT followed by " SID OUTPUT" to be able to make the output high and low. Measured voltage should be about 0 V on " ON" or about 12 V on " OFF".
If not, connect the Saab Information Display (SID) module to a Breakout Box (BOB) and check the cable for any open circuits/short circuits between the ICE and the SID modules with both electronic control modules disconnected.
If the cables are intact, the fault is probably in one of the electronic control modules. Connect the ICE electronic control module and repeat point 2 at the same time as pin 8 in the Saab Information Display (SID) module's connector is grounded. If the signals are correct the fault is probably in the Saab Information Display (SID) module. If not, the fault is probably in the ICE.

Dave H