STARTER ISSUES

1994 SAAB 900

1994 Saab 900 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 109000 miles

For the last 6 months my Saab has been having problems starting. It starts fine most of the time but every once in a while it will turn over slowly and then stop. It sounds like the battery is dead, but it is not. If I hold the key in the start position it will make a ticking sound for a little while the slowly start turning over again. Eventually it will start after a few minutes of this. Also when I don�t have time for all of this and I am parked on a hill I am able to roll start it. However, recently it has not been starting after this process and I am not able to roll start it either.
Do you have any idea what could be wrong? It sounds like a problem with the starter but I am not sure.
Shamsb