POWER STEERING

2002 Renault Megane

Steering problem
2002 Renault Megane 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 111000 miles

hi, yesterday whilst driving my power steering faulted and it was very difficult to steer. I was 10 miles from home and continued to drive home hoping id make it, a short time later I could smell a sweet smell coming from the heating system which would only pump cold air through the car, then after a further 5 miles the radio went off followed by the window wipers then all the electrics went off and I broke down half mile from home and had to be towed. Today the car wont start at all. I am taking it to a mechanic tomorrow but can you advise if you think this is a major fault. Thanks Lee
Leegal4

Hello Lee

I don’t have access to Renault Service manuals. However, you may be able to do a quick check and see what it is. From what you said, the power steering went out first. The sweet smell would indicate anti freeze from the cooling system. All the electrical going out would indicate you were possible running off of just battery power and the car quit.

If you go out and lift the hood, see if your belt to drive all the pulleys is still there. If not that is why you lost everything. Now what may have happened is your water pump went bad, shearing the belt. With no belt, you are not able to have power steering. With no belt the alternator is not turning thus you are only running on battery power which will only last a short time. Did your temperature gauge go up at all?

I hope this gives you a ruff idea but if you can go and look at the engine you may be able to provide more info we can assist with. Also look around the engine and on the ground for any fluid. Green or orange is anti freeze.

Hope this helps – let us know if you need more info or guidance.

Thank you very much for the donation.

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS