MY WONT TURN OVER

1997 Renault Laguna

1997 Renault Laguna 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90000 miles

OK here goes

i had an intermittent fault with my laguna 2.0 auto, whereby it wouldnt always turn over when the key was turned. I found that the battery cable tot he starter motor wasnt very tight so I nipped it up and it seemed to work fine, for about a day. Since then I can only start it by putting a spanner from the power (big) terminal to the solenoid body.
i thought it might be the multifunction switch but the reverse lights work whch seems to rule that out. Obviously the starter works on its own but not through the ignition. Everything else works fine and the car operates normally once started, im just sick of sticking my hand down the back of the engine to get going.
just to add I can hear the starter relay clicking when I turn the key to start position, but no click from the solenoid.
i have waggled the gear selector to see if the multifunction switch is misaligned and also tried it in neutral to no avail.
any ideas?
Pablito420

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

What I would do next is with a test light check the power at the starter solenoid wire when the key is turned to crank, you say the relay can be heard to activate but is current reaching the starter? You may have a faulty relay, start here, unfortunately our data base dose not cover your car so I can't look up the location of this relay or view any wiring schematic, but I will try and locate something if you still have a problem.

Mhpautos
Thanks for the pointer. I tested that solenoid wire (white) with a voltmeter and there is no juice coming through it. I am going to try and find the starter relay and test that too. I think the relay I heard click before was irrelevant as it clicked on the run position not the start position when I turned the key.

Any help or advice would be great.

Ok so I havent found the starter relay, apparently it might be built into the main fuse box in the engine compartment but I have no way of finding or testing it. Please help

Pablito420