NOT STARTING

2000 Renault Clio

2000 Renault Clio 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 62000 miles

Hi, have renault clio 1.4 16 valve. Manufacture year 2000. Driving along the engine cut out and wont start. Engine cranks over with full battery power.
have changed tdc sensor and cooling sensor about 1 year ago for poor starting but problem was with remote key cell.
This engine has fuel injection system.
My question is how do I go about checking ignition system and fuel system for delivery.
and ur suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Tmgee

Start by removeing the timing belt top cover and checking the timing belt is intact and has no missing teeth .. repost with your findings for further assistance !

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_937.png

Dave H
Hi Dave, thanks fro prompt reply. I have been away, but now working on car, and am grateful for any advice.
Have pulled timing belt cover off, found belt to be still intact but frayed. ( Had garage replaced the timing belt abt 1 year ago at 55,000 miles) Inlet valve timing gear has a plate at front (all part of gear), this has sheared and about 3 inches missing. Found strips of this plate all squashed up within cover.
Undone tensioner, at the back of the tensioner, there is a locking tag, the tag facing towards the tensioner seems to be twisted a little.
Removed the belt, and found the inlet valve camshaft turning freely. No valve spring tension.
Removed the top cover to expose the camshafts.
Found all rockers under the inlet vavle camshaft were all out of thier positons, (had dropped out of their seatings)
Not sure as to how this has happened, wheather this happened at the time the engine broke down or later when attempting to start it.
In your opinion, is it wise to remove the cylinder head for examination or to refit the rockers and new timing belt and tensioner.
Look forward to your reply, thanks again.

Tmgee
In my opinion you have damaged valves .. I would remove and recondition the head and valves .. the valves are probably bent and not coming back up far enough .. new valves and a pressure test of the head would be my choice from your description of the damage ..In 80% of this model with belt damage the valves get damaged also, when the head is removed check the piston's !!

hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_976.png

Dave H
Hi Dave, Thanks for your reply. I have already removed the head and as you correctly said. All valves are in fact bent. The piston heads have been gouged. But i'm thinking of not disturbing the pistons. I may try and replace all valves or try and obtain another second hand cylinder head, which will come with camshaft gear attached. As I said on my first post that the flanged plate on inlet camshaft gear has sheared and part is missing.
Would be grateful, if u can adivise on setting up of timing, particularly as to, how to know when piston on TDC is on compression stroke and not on exhaust stroke? As I guess spark and fuel injected only on compression stroke? Thanks for help.

Tmgee
Hey.

I do not have any diagrams for this model vehicle as it was not released in the U.S. ... Your local library or autoparts store will be able to supply a repair manual with step by step timing mark instruction's and diagrams .. it's been a couple of years since I did one of these and my memory is a little hazy too accurately describe exact markings .. LOL .. I would strongly advise getting the manual ...there is also a lock up tool available, to lock up the cam and crank in correct position once set . does the plate that is damaged have timing marks on for cam's ?? .. If my memory serves me correctly both cam pulley timing marks have to be at the 12 o'clock position and the crankshaft has to have #1 piston rocking at TDC of compression .. but again I would strongly advise getting the repair manual, to be sure you get this right first time .. as further damage can occur if set incorrectly ...

Hope this helps .. let me know if I can assist further ..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_979.png

Dave H
Hi Dave, thanks again for reply.
Have not had time to dismantle head yet, too cold in uk haha, will revert to u when I have dismantled.
Have got the workshop manuel.
As far as getting camshafts in positions, there r slots in tail end of shafts. These slots are off centred, one has to attach a tool or plate in there and screw to head to lock up. No marks needed on cam gear.
Then to get piston on TDC, ( there is a tool thats is slide in side of engine block which locks against crankshaft web, basically it is a pin) slide belt sprocket on crankshaft ( there is no key in sprocket), slide on pully and tigthen to specific torque.
My question is, how do I know I have got the piston on TDC on correct stroke, that is on compression stroke. It cud be that its on exhaust stroke?
If on exhaust stroke then fuel be entering incorrect cylinder and sparking on incorrect as well (360 degrees out on crankshaft) Let me know what u think. Thanks.

Tmgee
Hey.

Most manufacturers are using this type of lock up for the cam/crank timing nowaday's ... there should be timing marks on the crank gear .. and the pin should slide into a slot to lock crank ... when head is back on and bolted down and your ready to time up .. remove number one spark plug .. place a long thin screwdriver down plug hole resting on piston head ..rotate crankshaft clockwise with a wrench/spanner/ratchet while watching screwdriver rise .. when scredriver gets to a point that it begins to go down again, bring it back slightly (around 1 mm) this is TDC on #1 piston compression and the locking pin should now slide into correct position ..you may have to rock crank back and forth slightly with wrench to locate exactly ..

Let me know if any of this is unclear ?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_983.png

Dave H
Hi Dave,
Thats excellent, will give it a go.
Just lilttle unclear as to know, once we set valve timing to No1 cylinder on TDC on comppression stroke, there is no disributor to check the rotor is pointing to HT lead to No 1 cyinder (like in older engines)
Was just wondering if ignition timing can end up being 360 degrees of crankshaft turn out? Meaning if firing order is 1342. And instead of firing on 1. Cud end up firing on 4. Which wud be on exhaust stroke.
Hhmm okay Dave. Revert to u. Shortly hopefully wid engine running sweetly.

Tmgee
Timing is computer controlled .. as long as you have the camshaft's locked in the correct place and the crankshaft locked at TDC when replacing the belt (valve timing set correctly)... the cars computer will figure out the firing sequence using the CKP (crankshaft position sensor)

let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_984.png

Dave H
Hiii, thanks for your help, understood now, will revert to you once I have progressed matter.

Tmgee