POSSIBLE TRANSMISSION ISSUES AND BAD SOUND

1994 Ford Ranger

Hello, I drive a 1994 ford ranger with a manual transmission. Yesterday it only did this very briefly, and only once. However this morning on my way to work, it became a whole lot more noticeable. It feels like something is slipping. And then its sound completely changes, it doesn't even sound like my truck when it starts. And its usually around 45-50 mph, but the second time it did it at 65 mph. And it did it when I shifted from 5th to 4th gear to pass a slow driver, I was driving 55. LAST week and for a few weeks before, it had this really subtle grinding sound when I slowed down in usually first or reverse, and would do it also sometimes while I was shifting down the highway. I think that they are linked and the problem I had today is the worsening of the problem I had last week. Please help me out, what in the heck is going on here? Ive heard everything to low or bad transmission fluid, clutch, and the transmission it self.
Jroberts007

Check the ujoints in driveshaft first grinding noises would have to be heard by someone that knows what they are doing it could be a trans problem but it would need to be low on fluid or a ton of miles which you haven't given.

Ok so I let a friend of mine drive it and check it out, he was a mechanic and knows a thing or two. His prognosis (from the way it drove etc.) Was that it wasn't the trans or the clutch. He did a few driving tests etc, but he said my problem my be my fuel filter, so yesterday I got one and I changed it first thing this morning. It drove fine. But hours later it did it again, when its little episodes pop it I lose almost all power and the engine may or may not buck and little and shake. Now I filled up my truck three days ago and it is now under a half of a tank, and although it isn't all that great on gas half a tank in two and a half days is ridiculous! For your info its the 2.3 four cylinder engine. In any case my friend told me were I filled up at, may have had some bad gas, thus putting bad fuel into my truck. Now the fuel filter was pretty bad, what was coming out of it when I changed it this morning looked like chocolate milk it was so full of rust and god knows what else. But im going to run her low as I can and get gas somewhere else and hope that solves that problem. However it still makes a weird grinding noise from time to time when I shift, im thinking about checking my trans fluid and possibly changing it, but another motor savvy friend of mine said that the "throw out bearing" was causing THAT noise. This was my original problem that ive had for a couple weeks now. Now I don't think that the problems are related, but im no mechanic. DIY is my motto, so could you possibly tell me about this throw out bearing business. Thanks

Jroberts007
Scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge auto parts rent them