986 INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

1998 Porsche Other

I am currently the owner of a VW 1966 Karmann Ghia with a 12V and 75A alternator upgrade. I am running a full set of '71 Porsche 914 gauges, but would like to replace them with a newer set. I have bought a used instrument cluster from a 1999 Porsche 986 Boxter and am trying to figure out how to install it. I have a wiring diagram for the porsche, and am wondering what sort of sending units I should use to make the panel work. My main concern is of course the Tach and speedometer inputs. The old speedo was cable-driven, and so am having a bit of trouble finding documentation on the calibration of the gauges. I'm wondering if I can install 986 sending units in my type 1 VW aircooled engine; it's an air-cooled 4 cyl with a classic Bosch 009 distributor and a HP Mallory promaster ignition coil. I figure I can hard-wire the lights themselves, but I'd really like to get the gauges working. Is there any way to bypass the ECU to also wire the Tach and speedo?
I am not too interested in making every single panel light work, just the main gauges and a few of the indicator lights such as the fuel, turn signal, high beam, and possibly oil pressure lights. I would greatly appreciate any input you may have at your end, knowing what you do about these matters. Thank You for your time

Christian Vlautin
zazo_thex@hotmail. Com
Eureka Springs, AR
Zazothex