COLD IDLE SURGING

2003 Pontiac Vibe

Computer problem
2003 Pontiac Vibe 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 77000 miles

My car has a problem with finding high idle when it is cold outside (< 35F). Bounces around 2000 rpms every 2 seconds. Stops after a few minutes when the engine begins to warm. After searching around a bit, I found Toyota TSB 2754 which describes my problem exactly. It is for the sister cars corolla and matrix.

Does anyone know if this program change would be applicable to the pontiac vibe? It has the same engine and manual transmission as the corolla / matrix. The Pontiac dealer did not have an update and the service consultant at the toyota dealer couldn't come to grips with the fact that a pontiac had a toyota drivetrain.

The problem is annoying, but I am not sure I want to go through an elaborate diagnostic routine to solve. G
Gary95

OK first off the two may not have the same computer so don't count on the programming being the same. They do share many of the same parts however. With that if the check engine light is on call around to your local parts stores and see if one does a free scan and scan it. Write the codes down and then have it cleared. Get back to me with any codes. Do you have a digital multi meter?

Racefan966
No check engine light. I do have a digital multimeter. Have not had cold enough weather yet to have the surging this year. G

Gary95
Ok good now what I need you to do is unplug the coolant temp sensor and ohm it. Do this when it is cold and get back to me with the ohms and the outside temp at the time you check it. Here is what it should look like.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_101959_1.jpg

Racefan966
Any chance there is another place to get the resistance measurement (terminal block, etc.)? It is buried pretty good behind the wiring harness and 6 other tubes on the side of the block that are frozen and crunchy. 15 degree fingers really don't want to disassemble all of that. I am guessing the answer is no, but I just thought that I would ask.

Gary95