SOUNDS LIKE LOOSE BELT BUT BELT LOOKS

2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Noises problem
2000 Pontiac Trans Am V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

My WS6 makes a loose belt like whine but it comes and goes. Usually upon start up if it was wet out or high humidity it will make the noise which is very apparent when I drive past objects like hills or buildings, otherwise it is harder to hear. It seems to clear up as the vehicle heats up. I thought it might be exhaust or belt but belt looks fine and if exhaust why would it come and go?

I also need a transmission for my truck and while hunting for prices I was told that a used transmission w/genuine gm parts is better than a rebuilt transmission. Is that true or just a good salesman's line?
Dlhst50

It maybe in the belt tensioner pulley. Sometime the bearing start going bad and make the belt make noises. You can try some belt dressing to see if it helps.

As far as the truck, a rebuilt transmission is just as good as the parts used to rebuild it. I have seen a rebuilt transmission start to go bad after a few hundred miles, and the same for a used transmission. With the used transmission check the milage that the vehicle the transmission came out if possible. Some places do have a warrantee on used transmission. Check with the salvage yard.

M_H_RITZEL
I will check on the pulley.

As for the transmission the fellow told me that it has 85K and a 1 year warranty for $835 delivered to my door step but it is one of those online parts suppliers not a local junk yard. Figure I will check locally too.

It is for a 5.3L V8 w/towing package (2000 chevy silverado). The truck has 142K miles so if that is any indication this used transmission should get me another 60K give or take.

Dlhst50
They do advertise transmissions on e-bay, they also have rebuilding kits. Check on there. Some tramission places do advertise and have rebuilt transmission on there. You can also just put 2000 chevy silverado transmission in the seach engine and something should come up to compair with the price

M_H_RITZEL