IGNITION SWITCH

1979 Pontiac Trans Am

Steering problem
1979 Pontiac Trans Am V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 48,000 miles

I went to turn off the car, and the engine did shut off, but the key switch would not go back far enough to remove the key. Also it would not move forward enough to start the engine. I purchased a new switch, and upon installing it had the same problem. I noticed linkage hooked up the switch that goes down the steering column. I removed the new switch, and turned it with needle nose pliers. The linkage seems to be hung up. Is this a get a new steering column job, or could it be something simple, such as a broken spring, or something to that effect?
Sorry about the donation, or lack thereof, but am currently drawing unemployment. But would be glad to send in an appropriate amount, as soon as I go back to work.
Larshe