EXCESSIVE CRANKING

2006 Pontiac Torrent

2006 Pontiac Torrent 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 33,000 miles

Hi I just purcheased a 2006 Pontiac Torrent and since about a week after having it sometimes I get a excessively long cranking before it starts around 5 to 7 seconds of holding the key. It usually happens about once a week sometimes more. Because I dont want to ruin the starter I usually let the key go after just a few seconds and try again. Sometimes it will start right up sometimes it will crank again. Ive had it to the dealer 4 times and up till the last time it never did while in there hands. This last time it did happen for the service tech but he tells me the Torrent has a electric starter and sometimes it has to find a contact point and that this is normal. Is this true? He also said instead of lettin the key go after a few seconds of cranking, hold it but not longer then 25-30 seconds. And if it dont start before the 25-30 seconds then there may be a prob. Ive never had this on any of my cars before.I truely dont think its normal to have to hold the key for 30 seconds before the truck starts. Now like I said I never had to hold it that long (30 secs) but I think even 5 seconds is to long on a 2006 vehicle. I look all sorts a silly outside of a store and my trucks all cranking like its a 1974 Ford Pinto. Please Help!
Samiaml

Check your fuel pressure/coolant temperature sensor/ starter relay/ignition switch and starter itself.

If the starter is cranking 5-7 secs its doing its job-