HEADLIGHTS WON'T WORK

1999 Pontiac Sunfire

1999 Pontiac Sunfire 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 137000 miles

I have a 1999 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2 liter (SE). The other night my headlights would not come on, the daytime running lights work though. Nither the high beams or low beams will not work although.I checked all the fuses in my dash and the conections to the headlights themselfs. The headlights came on going to work today, but would not turn on coming home though. I was thinking it maybe a headlight relay problem. I just dont know where that is in my car. I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction.
Talon6713

The voltage to the headlamps is hot all the time, when the drl isn't energized. Actually, there is voltage to the lamps even then, but wired a little different, the drl relay is ground for the lamps when energized. When not energized, the dark blue wire is headlamp voltage for one side. orange wire for the other. On and off, bright and dim, is controled on the ground circuit through the multifunction switch. DRL is a little different.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_sunfire_headlamps_1.jpg

Thank you for the quick response back to my question although I'm not familair with wiriing diagiams. I was hoping someone could provide where the headlight relay is?

Talon6713
The DRL relay is behind lower left side of dash.

Thank you very much!

Talon6713
So was the relay the issue?

Camaroscotty
Are you still having issues?

The DRL relay was the problem, and it was fixed

Talon6713
Good job.

My 1996 Sunfire DRL are not working at all but Hi/Low beams are fine. I'm thinking I need to replace DRL relay. Can you attach photo of relay/location?

Ashleyadam
My info says the relay is located on the front impact bar, sorry, I don't have a picture.