CAR OVERHEATING

Pontiac Sunbird

Hi

I have a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird It has a 2.0 L engine mileage it has 207000 km on it.

I have found that the car over heats when I have driven it a long distance without stopping as well when we have had all this really hot weather. Friend of mine suggested putting in a new thermostat. We bought one to put it in but I'm not sure how to do it. If this doesn't work any other reasons why it would be overheating. Please respond as soon as you can. I would really appreciate help.

Thanks so much
Midnightlore

Any slowing down of heat transfer could cause overheat. Typically long distant hwy driving over heating cause highest failure cpt is radiator clogging up. Thermostat which stick in close position usually will act up over heating within 10 minutes in driving.

Kin chan
Or try all the following below: Try replacing the thermostat-not it do the following below: Have it block and pressure tested-do the block first to pinpoint a combustion leaking into the cooling system or a gas analyzer to sniff for hydrocarbons at the radiator fill neck.

Pressure test: do not do a pressure test if there's leakage at the headgasket this might cause coolant into the cylinders and lock it up or bend a connecting rod if cranked thereafter. The headgasket should be repaired before doing the pressure test.

If the block and pressure test passes check the following: Thermostat, Pressure test the Rad. Cap, Clogged radiator, Fan clutch, Radiator electrical fan, collaspe hoses, water pump.
_________________
Am not looking down and there's noone above me-