CAR STALLS AT IDLE

1995 Pontiac Sunbird

1994 Pontiac Sunbird 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

I have a v6 1994 Pontiac Sunbird Convertable. When you start the car, it putters as if it is going to stall. After driving the car for about 5 minutes, it will stall when at a stop. Before this began, the car would overheat and you can smell oil, but it does not seem to burn oil. One day it just stalled as has been doing it ever since. My mechanic says that its the main computer, although he said that it could be other problems but he would not know of them until the computer is replaced. I dont have alot of money to put into the car, but I also do not want to junk it. Should I fix the computer or just get rid of it. And how can I make the most money off of this car if it isnt worth fixing? Thanks for your help!
STEVEMILLS04

First try unplugging the square 4 wire connector on the trans near the cooler lines, it is for the TCC (torque converter clutch) if it is stuck, the engine wont be able to hold idle. Could also be the Idle aAir Control motor not working. Has he ever gotten any trouble codes?

Jack42