STARTER WON'T ENGAGE FLYWHEEL

1994 Pontiac Sunbird

1994 Pontiac Sunbird 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 285000 miles

Sometimes when I go to start the car, the starter will wind up as usual but won't engage the flywheel and turn the engine over. Usually trying a second or third time will engage it and it will turn over as normal. I have replaced the solenoid with a new one, and done a complete rebuild of the starter myself so I know it all works. I replaced the brushes, bushings, and drive, and the return spring works fine. The ignition wire to the solenoid seems fine.

What would you guys recommend checking? I removed the plastic cover to get to the torque converter, and the flywheel looks fine, not a mark on the teeth. Could the starter need to be shimmed? If so, how do I go about doing that, because I'm not sure exactly where to put them. The only other thing I can think of is the starter drive isn't engaging far enough sometimes. Somehow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Professorchaos96

When it was out of the car and you tested it, did the solenoid appear to kick out properly? Also, as far as shims, they shouldn't be needed. If you shim it, you'll actually move it farther away from the flywheel.

Let me know about how it was tested.

Yeah it appeared to, but all I had was a battery and some jumper cables so it wouldn't account for much. Could it be possible the plunger behind the solenoid is grooved or sticking in some way?

Professorchaos96