TIMIMG OR CAT CONVERTER PROBLEM?

Pontiac Other

I bought a 92 gran am 2.3 quad single cam. It runs but it misses, it spits back(missfires), dies when put in gear.I put new timing chain on. The timing marks were correct position when I took the chain off and put the new one on. It didn't change a bit. I started it and let it miss spit and gurrgle for about 16 minutes the other night and the cat was glowing red! I jumped the A - B terminals to retrieve the codes but all it did was blink once then twice (diagnostic mode). Should I let it blink more than 5 or six times? I never got anything out but the one code? Could it be a partially plugged cat? Or a problem with the coil? Any suggestions will help. I am getting ready to make a flower pot out of it so hurry. Also , the car sat for two years. Would the gas in the tank cause this much trouble?
Dwhite

If the cat conerter got red hot I would think the place to start is replacing the cat converter, the glowing red is from a clogged converter. That could also be your problem with the miss fire, because of the back pressure.

M_H_RITZEL
Thank you.I will check out the cat tomorrow and get back to you. Man you guys are fast

Dwhite
We do the best we can

M_H_RITZEL
Might also want to try a new coil housing if it hasnt been replaced before. It acts as the plug wires

Jack42
I checked the coil housing with an ohm meter from coil contact point to point of contact with spark plug. 1 and 3 were infinate but 2 and 4 were 16. Shoudn't the all be infinate (pegged out on the meter)?

Dwhite