CAR WONT CRANK

Pontiac Other

1988 pontiac grandam the car was running we let it sit for 6 months. We tried cranking it and it turns over great but won't crank. So I was told that it could either be the fuel pump because when I pulled gas into the carborator the car would run for 5 seconds then cut off.I was also told thats it could be the jets in the carborator.I really need to know its a good running car I just would like to know why it won't crank. Thank you
Scarecrow39

Sounds like it may not be getting fuel. Are you SURE there's gas in the tank? Try adding some fresh gas.
If this is carbureted, sometimes the float will stick. Sometimes TAPPING on the carb will free up the float.
Check for fuel to the plugs---Pull a plug wire and ground it. Crank for a few seconds. Immediately pull the plug and check that it's wet with gas.
If not the problem is further back.
Check for fuel at the carburetor. Open the choke valve and open the throttle. You should see a spray of fuel, not a drip.
If no spray the problem is probably the filter or pump or clogged lines. Hope that helps

Hyknrd