CRANKSHAFT PULLEY

2000 Pontiac Montana

2000 Pontiac Montana Two Wheel Drive Automatic 147000 miles

My serpitine belt came off.I put on new one and when I started it up the belt came off.I noticed when I went to put belt back on that the crankshaft pulley is not inline with the rest of the pullies alt, aipower steering. What would cause this to happen?
Empire490

I have just experienced the same thing today. Any ideas anybody

Keithandbev
You crankshaft pulley could be loose try torquing it to specs and inspect the other pulleys double check belt tracking/alignment

In another forum I found many Montana's where the Harmonic Balancer has come apart which is causing the pully to be 1/2" out of alignement so I will check this now. Thanks everybody.

Keithandbev
What were the results? I have a similar issue with the same year/make/model.

Thanks for any info.

MattF6
I had the same problem and the harmonic balancer (102K miles)had actually started to separate and caused the pulley to move forward. Oriellys to my surprise had it in stock so I suppose it is a common problem. At the same time I found everyone of the idlers/bearings(there are a few) were wore out so I replaced them

Dkroese