BELT TENSIONER REPLACEMENT

2000 Pontiac Montana

2000 Pontiac Montana 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 125000 miles

I'm replacing the belt tensioner and having trouble figuring out how to install - my Haynes service manual has no detail on how to do it. When I install the tensioner so the alignment pin is located in the appropriate mounting hole in the block, the tensioner arm is so far back (~8 o'clock) I can't thread the serpentine belt. When the tensioner is loosened to ~7 or 6 o'clock, I can obviously thread the belt, but the alignment pin is not centered in the mounting hole & there is no way I can push the tensioner arm back far enough to get the alignment pin in the hole. See pic:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/551496_2000_Montana_belt_tensioner_1_1.jpg

This pic is viewing the back-side (or block-side) of the tensioner spring body housing with the alignment pin (or stop pin) oriented at the top. All the posts I've seen talk as if most tensioners are self adjusting - not sure what that means. The one for the Montana is a clamshell design and would appear that the clamshell rotates around the mounting bolt, putting the arm in tension against the internal spring coil.

Question is ... after threading the belt, HOW do you get the tensioner arm pushed back enough to get the alignment or locking pin on the tensioner housing to seat in the hole on the block? There must be some step I'm missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tommy
Tbray

You have use a 3/8 drive ratchet or breaker bar and lock it into the square provided in the arm or use an open end wrench on the end to swing the arm up against the spring, that's why it has a spring to hold tension against the belt.

Bobb
Thanks Bob.

Tbray