CAR WHINE

2005 Pontiac GTO

2005 Pontiac GTO V8 Manual 45,000 miles

I have a 2005 Pontiac GTO with about 45k miles on it. I purchased the car about 5 months ago. It does have many modifications to it, and the car runs perfect. Within the last month though, I have been hearing a very loud whining noise when I accelerate. It almost sounds like a supercharger, even though I do not have one. The whine occurs when accelerating from first through third gear, and seems to stop from fourth to sixth. It does whine when I rev the engine in neutral and it does whine when reversing. Like I said, it is a very loud and distinct noise. Do you know what could be the cause of this and how to fix it?
AnthonyFalco

The whine in reverse will never go away, due to the gears in reverse being straight cut not helical. The whine may be a bearing starting to go. Other than realy being able to hear it which we can't you need to let a pro give a diagnosis. Go to a transmission shop.