NORMAL OPERATING TEMPERATURE

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix

Engine Cooling problem
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 70,000 miles

Since having my care repaired due to a " Service Engine Soon" light warning, my temp guage reads much higher than it did before(no matter what the driving conditions. It consistently registered around the large mark between the 160 & 210 mark(for about 9 years)Now it registers at or above 210 after only a few minutes on the road(not at high speeds). I am being told that my engine was actually running way too cool all these years and is now running at a normal temperature. They replaced a temp sensor & a thermostat which actually stuck & overheated so I had to take it back today. So what is the normal temp guage reading for a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT?

Dfcram98
Dfcram98

It should be around 210 to 220. Are the fans coming on when the vehicle is at operating temperature.

Tooomanytoys
The fans are coming on. But why is it now running
hotter than before after the thermostat & it's sensor
was replaced?

Dfcram98

Dfcram98
If the thermostat was worn, it allows coolant to flow through at lower temperatures. Which would cause an overcooling concern. The thermostat acts as a temperature regulator when working correctly

Tooomanytoys
Thanks for all your help! I now have to tell myself that
everything is okay when I see a higher reading on my
temp guage. Again, thanks!

Dfcram98