CONTROL ARM BUSHING REPLACEMENT

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix

Suspension problem
2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 157000 miles

I have recently found out that my Control Arm Bushing is damaged and needs replaced.

My question is, Am I able to replace this without taking the entire control arm off of the vehicle? And will I need a Spring/Shock compressor?

Any information you can provide will help and be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
EzPimpinYa

You will need to take control arm off, most bushings are pressed in.

You can generally remove lower control arm without taking strut completely off.

Mmprince4000
Thank you for your input. I am working on it today and almost have the control arm off. Turned out I only needed to remove the ball joint and sway bar

EzPimpinYa
Let us know the outcome and thanks for using 2carpros.

Mmprince4000
Well it was easier than I thought it would be. Thank you for your help. As it turned out we have a manual press at work and I ended up taking the Control Arm there and pressing it out and the new one in. Worked like a champ!

Thank you for your help. Greatly appreciated!

EzPimpinYa
Great news.

Mmprince4000
The front control arm bushing on a 2000 Grand Prix needs to be aligned a particular way when installed due to it's design. GM states this in their manual for this car but doesn't make it very clear in their description and picture. Do you know what the correct installation alignment is?

Mcferrance
I have figured this out. The bushing is originally installed from the bottom of the driver's side and the top of the passenger side control arms. The pictured shown above shows marking the flat spot before removing the bushing but it shows it in the wrong place. The picture I have attached is the one in GM's manual and correctly shows where the flat should be which basically aligns the solid part of the bushing in direct relation to the angle that the balljoint is from it. This makes sense with its effect on handling and the whole geometry of the front suspension.

Mcferrance